Velvet has the potential to look elegant, sophisticated, and smart – but it also has the potential to look cheap or even trashy. So, when velvet fashion is worn right, it’s luscious and can be a total winning look for whatever occasion you’re wearing it for. Conversely, the opposite is true. We’ve been seeing a lot of velvet emerging as a beautiful trend, and it is, of course, very important for people to know exactly how to wear velvet in the most successful way possible.
Velvet goes hand-in-hand with ‘70s fashion and is a type of woven tufted fabric in which the cut threads are evenly distributed, with a short dense pile, giving it a distinctive soft feel. By extension, the word velvety means “smooth like velvet.” Velvet can be made from either synthetic or natural fibers. It complicated process meant that velvet was expensive to make before industrial power looms became available, and well-made velvet remains a fairly costly fabric.
Velvet fashion has also been typically seen in evening wear rather than day wear, but we have been seeing velvet as day wear pop up on various runways this year. Velvet bottoms are about as deep into this trend as you can get. While they aren’t the easiest item to pull off, when styled the right way, their impact will be unforgettable. Check out a few styling tips on how to rock velvet fabric.
1. Say yes to an elegant Velvet dress or jumpsuit, is a perfect choice for evening. A velvet dress really stands out on its own, but you can add a statement necklace to be fancier and voila, there you go!
2. You can try a velvet accessory like a velvet cross-body bag, you can wear it for any occasion, from running errands to the fanciest of date nights.
3. Velvet makes even a t-shirt or top look more chic and glam. Wear it with high-waist jeans.
4. Make a velvet midi skirt work by pairing it with a cozy and comfy top.
5. Wear Velvet in any shoe you can find it in. A mule, a platform pump for a special occasion, a chunky boot for any time in between, the velvet gods were good to the shoe lover this year.
6. Mix with different textures and a velvet jacket or pant style blends rather than making too much of a statement. Dress down to make it a statement, or up to turn. Either way, your wardrobe will thank you.
7. When you need a break from all the skinny jeans and tailored trousers, Wear Velvet in wide-leg options. Whether they’re for work or play, a swinging pair of party pants can spruce up the dreariest of days and span all occasions.